Saturday, March 27, 2010

Screw Baby Steps

No really. If you are anything like me, you spend entirely too much energy focusing on how unhappy you are with yourself and how it just sucks so bad and wish you didn't look and feel like you did. So taking baby steps like workout once this week, or eat more veggies this week, are small potatoes and won't get you the fastest results. Which is what we all want right? So jump in! Lets do this!

Here's a quick start guide that may help you along. Again, I feel the need to put a disclaimer that I am NOT a certified trainer or counselor or anything like that. This is just my advice, take it or leave it. But please don't sue me ;)

So here are some tools to get you started:


1. Invest in a Scale-
Scary times, I know! No one wants to know the number, but you HAVE TO. Don't get hung up on numbers or goal weights or whatever, but you need something to keep track of. And you need accountability. So get a digital scale, and either have a spouse or friend be there to witness your weight (so you can't tell your brain to imediately forget the number), write it down in a log, or get a scale that saves the information. That way you can't lie to yourself, which we get very good at when we are in denial about the size we are. I recommend only weighing yourself weekly on the same day and same time each week. Don't obsess about daily fluctuation, that will make you crazy.


2. Buy a pedometer-
This is the easiest way to motivate yourself to get moving. Wear it ALL the time, not only when you are working out. I mean, only take it off for the shower. Seriously, you will be shocked how 5 more minutes walking with the dog or one lap around the playground adds up. A great workout is 10,000 steps a day, but that is difficult, so don't get hung up on it. Buy one that is flat enough to wear on your waistband under clothes, has a miles counter as well as calorie counter. Target has some great ones!

3. Think about how you eat and change it-
I'm working on a chart that you can download that will serve as a menu template. But to sum up what that will include is a good range for daily calorie consumption while losing weight is 1250-1500 cals a day. You also need to consider how to fit veggies, fruits, dairy and two snacks a day in there. So food journals are great, but since I'm a visual person, it's easier for me to see it broken down for me. Then you can hang a new one on your fridge each week and fill it out as you go! It is important to keep track or you will not remember what you're eating. I'll have it done soon, promise! :)

4. (Optional but helpful) Buy simple exercise equipment-
*Big Exercise Ball
*Set of Resistance Bands
*Set of 5lb weights
*Yoga mat

5. I forgot! Get a good water bottle. Something you will carry with you to the park or wherever. Mine has a straw and a water filter in it so I can refill it whenever.

No comments:

Post a Comment